Sunday 21 April 2013

Hollandaise Heaven at The Chalkboard Cafe

Eggs and Bacon Benedict with hollandaise 

"What should we eat today??" That is the question that my big sis and I ask each other whenever we meet up. No "hello, how are you?", "what should we do?" or " whats new?". Just straight to the most important question. Well this particular day we decided that we wanted to go to Patisse a french dessert place that we had previously been to in Alexandria.... So you can imagine our surprise when we arrived in Alexandria and where Patisse had been was this New Cafe called The Chalkboard cafe. Big sis and I peeked and squinted through the window of this new cafe almost expecting Patisse and desserts to magically appear before our eyes. With our tummies rumbling we decided to give this cafe a go and find ourselves dessert at another location after.


The place where Patisse was, and now where The Chalkboard Cafe resides. 

So big sis and I walk through the big automatic sliding doors and we are greeted consecutively with quirky decor and personal touches from the cafe. 

Chalkboard at the doors

Grand table and decor

 
Funky lights that you can purchase

The inside of the cafe is full of natural light in an amazing warehouse like high ceiling space, every table and chair in the cafe had its own vibe and look. It was so hard to choose a spot that we moved at least twice.


The beautiful open space and great lighting makes you feel instantly happy and comfortable

 The lovely ladies in the front with the original display case that Patisse had. I found out after speaking to one of them later that The Chalkboard Cafe had been there since the beginning of January 2013.




 True to its name - A big Chalkboard sits at the front
 

 My my the options, how do you choose?

So before I loose myself in the cafes amazing decor , I better move on to the best part of this cafe... the food...

A question for my readers... Do you ever order something , and say " I wish it had more sauce" ? well I do.. and very often because... I am a sauce-o-holic! I love sauce and lots of it. On this rare occasion I found myself saying "oh my gosh, look at all that sauce!" Let me show you why.

 The Chalkboard Benedict with bacon $17 : Bacon, poached eggs, a welcomed twist of potato cake instead of bread and of course the hollandaise... This combination had me floating in hollandaise heaven, every mouthful was perfect. The potato cake was decadence on top of decadence. The poached eggs were great, slightly more solid than what I usually like but hey it doesn't affect the taste.

Eggs benedict with smoked salmon and hollandaise
The Chalkboard Benedict with Smoked Salmon $17: Smoked salmon, poached eggs, potato cake and hollandaise. This was big sis' dish, but I managed a few fork fulls before she devoured it. I have to say this was equally as amazing as the Benedict with Bacon even thought I usually like bacon more. It must be the hollandaise, you could drench cardboard in the hollandaise and I would probably love it.

fresh bread with raspberry jam and marmalade
White Pandesal toast with a choice of Raspberry Jam or Marmalade $8 : This bread was made in house by the cafe, I asked to try both of the jams which the waitress very nicely agreed to. It is hard to give an accurate opinion on this bread as I had stuffed myself with the Benedict but it was very nicely toasted which gave a nice textural change to the Benedict. The butter was too hard to spread and the jam were a bit too sweet and runny for my taste, but overall it is a nice satisfying starter, light breakfast or in our case- ender.

And of course to wash the decadence down.... Tea :)  This cafe had an amazingly extensive loose leaf tea selection to choose from. Big sis and I had The Honey dew Green tea and the Oolong Rose $3.50 per pot which comes with a little delicious shortbread. (bargain)

A little rose bud I fished out for everyone to see in the Oolong Rose Tea

 (Small side note - the Honey dew green tea was a little weak for me, but the Oolong rose was perfect for me. Big sis however found the Oolong rose too weak and preferred the Honey Dew Green tea, I guess it all depends on your individual taste)


After the delicious meal big sis and I managed to pluck ourselves off the chairs and waddle up these beautiful stairs to explore the building...


We found this amazing store on the middle level of the stairwell tucked secretively in the corner. It is a store full of the most exquisite homeware. Every piece feels like a piece of art. The price however was a bit too luxurious for us, so we walked through the store our eyes gleaming with hope and envy. Even promising some beautiful pieces that we will be back for them one day....

Does this look familiar? Looks like the people at The Chalkboard Cafe had been shopping.

Over all, I could not be happier that big sis and I had accidentally found ourselves eating  at The Chalkboard Cafe. The service was fantastic with extremely friendly staff and the food was to-die-for. This will definitely be a place I will be revisiting when I want to pamper myself. Forget the face mask, body scrubs and massage, you can have all that... I however will stick to my hollandaise.


The Chalkboard Cafe - PYD building : 197 Young Street, Waterloo, Sydney. 


Love Always Mel x





2 comments:

  1. There are some great shops there! And I haven't been back since Patisse moved so it's good to know that something good has replaced Patisse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lorraine,

      oh yes definitely a place to try :) I'm eager to try more places around that area, so many places to try so little time! I wonder where Patisse went though.....

      Mel x

      Delete