Monday 29 April 2013

Balkan Bake - The Bakery Cafe

Breakfast is a meal that whether you admit it or not we tend to neglect. I know I commit this heinous crime from time to time and spend the rest of the morning imagining doughnuts, bagels and bacon strips talking to me.... Until of course the bacon strip punches me on the arm because I'm not listening to them. My big sis and I decided to search for breakfast after I spend about 30 mins groaning about how I am on the brink of starvation while she slowly gets ready ( A little over dramatic I know).

Where does one head to when they are starving and don't know what they want? Balmain of course. A place where the streets are lined with cafes and antiques. Your idea of heaven may not be blowing dust off a $5 antique jar while simultaneously inhaling the scent of fresh bread and bacon.... But mine is.


As a bonus as we stepped out of the car and I did a double take so intense you would think I saw Ryan Gosling. Well I saw the Ryan Gosling of food stores, there gleaming in all it's glory was a bulk food store, filled with the most virtuous produce you could imagine.

The Source - Bulk Foods


Inside The Source - Bulk Foods
The Variety of things found in here was enough to send a shiver of happiness down my spine. I ran around the store like a little kid, pointing at things and looking at my sis trying to show her what I had found. She being the amazing big sis that she is shooed me away to continue on with her shopping undisturbed.


The picture says it all for itself- Yes raw cocao nibs, the kind of stuff that certain chefs sprinkle sparingly over their luxury chocolate French macarons.


  Coconut sugar- Something I didn't even know existed until now. 


Organic Honey anyone? Or maybe some Organic Oil? As you can see they also have Jars and bottles you can buy to fill with their products. I was told by the lovely Suze who was overseeing the store that you could bring in your own container to use, instead of buying theirs.


Shampoo? Yes shampoo, they really have thought of everything. Forget the chemical filled stuff you find at your supermarket. why not go for something that will make your hair feel sacred? No hair you say? That's okay scalps need loving too. 

As I mentioned before Suze was overseeing the store when I visited and she gave me a little background information. Paul and Emma are the owners and they opened this Balmain Store (address will be posted at the end) in December 2012. They also have a store in Mullumbimby. 
This place is a must visit in my books, if not to buy something then at least to have a look at all the things you are missing out in. Warning - visiting will most likely result in buying something. you have been warned ....


Now before I get side tracked with my gushing I'll move onto my breakfast. 
By now my sis and I are so hungry we just want to get some food into us, but being the annoying person I am I wanted to walk down the street until I found something that caught my attention. 

This is where Balkan Bake came in- I saw the words Bakery Cafe, I was sold at Bakery.

The outside of Balkan Bake
As we walked in we noticed an article from The Good Food Guide about their Bacon egg and Ricotta Burek's on their window.I take it as a good sign. 

The inside was cosy with a rustic chic vibe. I loved the wooden stump seats and I immediately started imagining my dream patio dinning set. 

My sis and I ordered our food and she sat down while I decided to do some mingling. I asked if I could take a picture of the little area you see in this picture just to show everyone where the pastries were made. To my delight this amazing man went up and started performing food acrobats!, spreading, twirling and stretching this piece of dough that went from the size of a babies fist to the size of a pygmy hippo! Where is this mans gold medal? 


To make a Burek which after some research I found originated from the Ottoman Empire (correct me if I'm wrong) you need to stretch this dough until it is impossibly thin and fold it over itself so it created flaky layers when baked. This process reminds me of the process used to make a Malaysian Roti. 

The filling of spinach and cheese being put into the Burek pastry.

The Cheese and Spinach Burek $11.50 and Mama's Ajvar relish $1: The cheese and spinach Burek consist of exactly what the name states and the relish consists of mainly eggplant and capsicum. The Burek was light and tasty especially when you add the relish, the relish is again one of those things that could make cardboard taste good. But beware if you are eating with another person as I was.... get as much as you can before they do. Multiple times I looked up to find my sis had grabbed a forkful of relish on its own and proceeded to devour it before my eyes. I sneakily moved it out of her reach when she wasn't looking after that. Another small word of advice, forgo the cutlery you do not need it. You will only end of with a pile of flaky mess... trust me I tried. Also our Spinach and cheese burek was not as crispy as I hoped mainly because it wasn't fresh out of the oven but it was tasty all the same.


The Bacon egg and ricotta Burek $9.80: The ingredients are also pretty self explanatory. This burek came out fresh out of the oven and straight onto our table, so it was crispy fresh and hot. It was bacony and very tasty especially with some of that amazing relish smeared on it.Added bonus it was nice and cheap most likely so price would coincide with the Good Food Guide article.


Tulumbi $3: A giant churro looking pastry drizzled with sugar syrup. Okay so we probably should have skipped dessert since we were full to the brim. But being me I went over board and ordered everything I saw. Also it looked like a giant churro! You try and say no to that. For me this dessert was a bit to sweet and wet, I think if the sugar syrup was not drizzled over this it would have been better.


Apple Sponge $4.50: This was a apple nut mixture sandwiched in between two layers of sponge. This was moist and tasty, I enjoyed the apple nutty mixture in the middle (had a chestnut like quality to it) and the buttery taste of the sponge.



Choc Fig Wafer $2.80: This was a strangely odd but tasty combination. The chocolate mixture was malty and rich with occasional chunks of nuts and pops of fig seeds. The wafer was a little chewy most likely caused by the moisture in the chocolate mixture.


To wash it down- Parkers Blood Orange juice $3.80 and Parkers white tea, elderflower and lemon $4: The blood orange juice was sharp and sweet, but my favourite was the White tea which was delightfully strange and fragrant.

Overall my experience in Balmain browsing for my breakfast was a good one. I found a food store which brought on enthusiasm equal to the kind little kids feel when they enter a lolly store for the first time. I also was able to try something different and unique at Balkan Bake, yes my burek virginity has been taken and I liked it...


Now a little treat for everyone. It was my beautiful friends birthday on the weekend. And she is a glamour puss that loves girly pink things. So here is the cake I made for her...

  My signature chocolate cake with pink fondant, gold brush embroidery design and fresh roses on top 

Unfortunately I didn't take a picture of the inside.... Next time I promise. Happy Birthday Beautiful Kit. 


The Source Bulk Foods: 262 Darling Street, Balmain, Sydney
Balkan Bake- The Bakery Cafe:  297 Darling Street, Balmain, Sydney



Love Always Mel x


No comments:

Post a Comment