Tuesday 7 May 2013

Chelsea Tea House- Avalon

So everytime I say to my other half I'm hungry! I can feel him getting nervous. I see him slowly reaching for his wallet looking into it and saying a farewell to his hard earned cash... Why? Because when I go out for food I get so over whelmed by the menu that I usually end up ordering more than I should. Anyone else have that problem?? So on this particular day I had a huge craving for sweets. I wanted giant slices of cake, sticky caramel and lemony tarts. I had walked past Chelsea Tea House many times before and I had always said to myself I have to give it a go. I envisioned high tea style food and dainty tea cups. No dainty tea cups here!I was slightly disappointed that my dream of sticky caramel slowly melted away. Sulking slightly something on the Menu caught my eye and instantly my taste buds perked up and I was happy again... 


The Elegant Chelsea Tea house

The main seating area is the outside which gives it a unique at home on the patio vibe.

The inside seating with an eclectic mix of decor

The kitchen where it all happens. Funky painted animal skull anyone? or old school lunch box guitars? Pretty awesome.
Interesting artwork, zombie renaissance ladies....


Funky corrugated wall leading to the outside toilets. 

Fresh Flowers on each table, just the way I like it

Nice and simple menu, Not too much choice but that is probably better seeing as you aren't over whelmed with the selection. I find sometimes you can enjoy a place better when you aren't worrying over whether you should have chosen this over that. Also a nice selection of tea was available which I was happy about.

BBQ Beef Brisket roll with pickled coleslaw, aioli and BBQ sauce $18 : This was the dish that caught my eye on the menu. Beef brisket? yes please. The texture of this dish was perfect, it was melt in your mouth with a great amount of sauce and the bread was soft and fluffy. However I personally prefer beef brisket that is not so sweet. The sauce was very sweet, almost to the point that it pulls focus from the amazing texture of the meat. My roll also had a few chunks of beef fat in it which I did not like. This is all my personal preference, maybe I received a sweeter batch or maybe I just prefer my beef brisket on the more savory side. 

Fresh falafel fajita with roast capsicum, eggplant, tomato, quinoa and riata $16: This dish was the opposite of the beef brisket roll. It has a nice taste to it but I didn't enjoy the texture. The falafel was a bit too hard and dry for me. The wrap was also quite dry. I however loved the addition of the quinoa in it and the flavour of the roast capsicum.

Flourless chocolate & hazelnut tart with vanilla ice cream $8: This was delicious. It was nutty, chocolatey, warm and rich. The scoop of ice cream was incredibly generous and the burst of cold went very well with the warm rich tart. I was very happy I ordered this and spent the remainder of the meal in a state of bliss. Ferrero Rocher in Tart form. Winner. 

To wash it down: Oolong tea $4 : Yay tea leaves. It had a good flavour and they definitely did not skimp on the tea leafs. Also a generous sized pot. 

Coffee, Regular sized $3.50, Large $4 (extra shot- $0.50 extra): This was my other half's drink, but I managed to get a few sips in before it finished it. To me the flavour was very mellow and easy to drink especially being a tea drinker. My other half however being a coffee connoisseur mentioned that it he felt that it was a little lacking in the coffee flavour but it is good for people who do not usually drink coffee. Personally I felt it was fine and not to mention very pretty. 



Overall my experience at Chelsea Tea House was fine. I was initially disappointed because I was expecting a  large selection of desserts but the Flourless chocolate and hazelnut tart hit a home run for me. As for the savoury food, well it is hard to judge a place when they have one chef and everyone has their good and bad days. I've since done a little research and found that this place has had great reviews, so I will definitely be back to give it another go. Bear in mind I can only write on what I have experienced and can't speak for the place as a whole. The service was great and the atmosphere was relaxing. Great place to hang out with friends and enjoy your day. 

  

Chelsea Tea House: 2/48 Old Barrenjoey Road, Avalon, Sydney 


Love Always Mel x 


No comments:

Post a Comment